Are you ready to fight zombies? If the undead hordes ever come shuffling your way, here are some weapons to consider.
Once again, AMC television's "The Walking Dead" has captured the American imagination. Every week this fall, millions of viewers will be tuning in to learn valuable lessons about survival, life, love, family, friendship, and killing legions of nasty, putrid, rotting, zombies. As the relentless gripping and grim episodes roll by, many viewers will probably wonder what kind of weapons would work well against zombies. If the undead hordes ever come shuffling your way, here are some weapons you might consider:
1. The Crossbow. If one weapon is the star of "The Walking Dead," it's the crossbow. It has the power to penetrate a zombie skull and it's quiet so it doesn't attract even more zombies. Since it has a low rate of fire, the crossbow isn't great for taking on vast hordes of zombies. As of this October 2011 writing, the Bass Pro Shop has a crossbow called Wicked Ridge by TenPoint Warrior on sale for $379.99.
2. Compound Bow. If you don't have a crossbow, a compound bow might be a good substitute. It can generate plenty of power and is very accurate in the hands of a skilled archer. You may want to get lessons and start practicing before the walkers come shuffling your way. A quality compound bow will set you back $300 to $500.
3. Axe. The axe and all of its derivatives are effective weapons against zombies. The hatchet and tomahawk are small variants that can be weilded in confined spaces by a person of normal strength. Larger axes like a fireman's axe can be more powerful, but require far more strength and athleticism to wield effectively. If you are looking for an effective weapon, the SOG FastHawk Straight-Edge Tomahawk is $39.99 from BassPro Shop.
4. Polearms. Polearms like pikes, lances, halberds, and spears can be effective against zombies. They allow you to physically strike zombies from a distance. Pole arms are also effective when used by groups employing appropriate tactics against zombies. Perhaps the most effective of the polearms would be the boarding pike. Boarding pikes were once used in the age of sail by Navy or pirate crews when boarding another sailing vessel. These short stout polearms are designed for hand-to-hand, close quarters, combat within the tight spaces of a ship. The basic spear could also be effective against zombies. The basic medieval Boar Spearhead is available from a variety of knifemaking supply companies.
5. Survival Knife. A heavy bladed Bowie or K-bar hunting knife can be a powerful close quarters weapon against zombies. In the popular AMC television series, "The Walking Dead," survival knives were used successfully in last ditch fights against zombies. If you are on a tight budget, Harbor Freight sells 8-inch Survival/Hunting Knives for less than $10. It has a hollow handle packed with useful survival items like matchs, fish hooks, and fishing line. If you are looking for a higher quality hunting knife, Walmart sells the American-made Buck 119 Special Hunting Knife for less than $50.
6. Handgun. The handgun of Deputy Rick Grimes on "The Walking Dead" is quickly becoming an iconic firearm. He carries a .357 Magnum Colt Python. It is a high quality handgun with a smooth trigger and powerful payload. While semi-automatic pistols have generally supplanted revolvers in police patrol service, the Colt Python is a very effective home defense weapon.
7. Hunting Rifle. Finally, scoped hunting rifles are excellent choices for defense against zombies. Accurate headshots are required to permanently take down zombies. According to the Internet Movie Firearms Database, the scoped hunting rifle used most commonly in "The Walking Dead" is the Ruger M77. It's a worthy choice for hunting and target shooting.
Of course, zombies are horror movie fantasies and weapons are a very serious business. If you ever even touch a firearm, you should be well-versed in the fundamental gun safety rules. You should also know all of the gun safety rules from the NRA. Have fun thinking about zombies, but prepare for hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, fires, and other more likely disasters.
Bass Pro Shops (BassPro.com)
Cold Steel (ColdSteel.com)
Internet Movie Firearms Database. "Walking Dead, The (TV Series)"